Earth Day Crossword Hint List

Seven of these words or phrases are answers in the Earth Day “Top Stormwater Pollutants” crossword puzzle.

Trash, yard waste, litter, roof debris, pesticides

auto waste, lawn debris, sediment, fertilizers

herbicides, pet waste, household waste

Keep scrolling down to learn more about stormwater and how you can help keep our waterways clean!

What is Stormwater?

Stormwater is water from rain or melting snow that does not soak into the ground. It flows from rooftops, over paved areas, bare soil, and sloped lawns. As it flows, stormwater runoff collects and transports animal waste, litter, salt, pesticides, fertilizers, oil & grease, soil and other potential pollutants.

Is stormwater treated at the treatment plant?

Some of it is. The current city water collection system runs approximately with 78% of stormwater runoff combined with sewer flows to the wastewater treatment plant for treatment, then is released into the Wabash River. The other 22% of stormwater runoff drains directly to the river. This means some water that flows down driveways, streets, and outside areas into a storm sewer or ditch flows directly to nearby creeks, rivers, fish and wildlife habitats, downstream recreational areas, and drinking water supplies.

What are common stormwater pollutants?

Common pollutants found in storm sewers and creeks include:

Animal waste


Motor oil, paint, household chemicals

Yard waste (leaves, grass clippings)

Fertilizers and pesticides

Soapy car wash water

Eroded sediment from construction projects

Community members are encouraged to participate in our “Adopt-A-Drain” initiative!


Help Keep Stormwater Runoff Clean and Drains Clear

Remember: Only rain belongs in the drain!

Don't dump anything down storm drains. Be sure to clear away leaves and debris.

Wash cars over your lawn or gravel.

This allows the ground to neutralize the soap and grime from your car rather than sending it directly to waterways. Use biodegradable or non-toxic soap that is phosphate-free. You can also take cars to a commercial car wash where wastewater is either recycled or treated.

Keep your car well-maintained.

Fix any fluid leaks promptly and clean up any spills. Properly dispose of old motor oil.

Use lawn or garden chemicals sparingly.

Choose organic alternatives when possible and check the weather forecast to avoid applying them before a storm.

Mow lawns less often and rake up grass and leaves.

Try to keep your lawn at least 3" in height to minimize weed growth, reduce the need for watering, and decrease the likelihood of pests. Leaving the clippings on the lawn can also help block weeds and retain moisture. Sweep your sidewalks and driveway rather than hosing them down.

Minimize runoff by not over-watering your lawn and garden.

Keep sprinklers on a timer to avoid pooling water.

Clean up pet waste.

Bag up pet waste and dispose of it in the trash to prevent harmful bacteria from washing into local waterways.

Minimize the amount of ice-melt used.

Do not over-apply salt. Choose a more environmentally-friendly alternative when possible.

Consider minimizing impervious surfaces around your home.

Use bricks, gravel, cobbles, natural stone, or permeable pavers instead of asphalt or concrete when possible.

Keep septic system well-maintained to prevent leaks.

A leaking septic system can leach harmful bacteria into storm sewer systems and local waterways. It is important to keep your system well-maintained to prevent costly repairs.

Contact Us

Email us at

Phone: 574-753-6231

601 E. Broadway, Logansport, IN 46947

Intuit Mailchimp logo
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
LinkedIn icon

© 2024 Logansport Utilities